skip to Main Content


The Excellent Educators for Every Classroom law changes alternative licensure in NC, phasing out and eliminating lateral entry licensure. The Residency License will replace lateral entry as the alternative pathway to NC licensure. Prospective teachers may find information about the Residency License at

Lateral entry licenses will continue to be issued through June 30, 2019. An individual who holds a valid lateral entry license may apply for a plan of study from the RALC through April 15, 2019.

Effective July 1, 2018, due to policy changes, the RALCs are unable to write plans of study for Permits to Practice or for Emergency Licenses, as we cannot recommend clear licenses from the status of Permit to Practice or Emergency. It is our recommendation that holders of these types of licenses associate with a college/university that has an approved educator preparation program (EPP) to complete the necessary coursework/requirements to convert to an Emergency or Residency License for the 2019-20 school year.


Back To Top