skip to Main Content

Lateral Entry Plans

Effective April 15, 2019, the RALC no longer accepts applications for lateral entry plans of study. However, the RALC will continue assisting those individuals who hold current lateral entry licenses and have been issued RALC plans of study.

In compliance with current SBE policy and General Statute all lateral entry licensed teachers must complete requirements and be recommended for a clear license no later than June 30, 2022.

Plan Overview

All plans of study (with the exception of Birth – Kindergarten, School Counselor, School Social Worker, and Special Education) have two parts: Licensure Content Area, and Pedagogy. A list of colleges/universities offering courses that have been approved by the RALC to satisfy competencies for your plan of study is found on this page.

To find approved courses for your content area or pedagogy requirements, follow the steps below.

  1. Select your Lateral Entry Licensure or Pedagogy area from the drop-down menus on your left.
  2. Select the college or university where you want to take the class. Approved classes are listed by prefix and course title.

If you prefer to take a course not listed on this site, you must seek written approval from your RALC Director prior to enrollment. Verbal approvals will not be honored. Click here for access to the Course Approval Form.

Courses must be taken to satisfy empty cells on your plan of study. Some competencies on your plan must be taken at a four-year university that has an approved teacher education program, while others can be met through the community college. Certain competencies can be met through your school system with staff development (CEU) credit. Your plan of study lists where each competency may be met.

With this in mind, it is important to make a plan for completing the requirements. Since certain courses are not offered each semester, it is important to contact the colleges and universities where you may take the course(s) and find out when and how the courses are offered (face-to-face, online, hybrid, etc.). Some of the institutions have provided that information and is noted on the courses tab.

Back To Top